Update Your Address, Please

By Angela Willeford
Au-Authm Action News

Hundreds of pieces of mail end up getting returned to the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community as undeliverable, which means Community members may miss out on vital information pertaining to their per cap, their children’s Minors Trust account and other important issues that require the input of Community members.

This is why SRPMIC departments are asking Community members and parents of Community members to please make sure to update addresses when they move.

Community Development Department (CDD) Director Stacey Gubser said, “The adult membership mailings number over 5,000 people, and with each mailing the Community receives approximately 500 letters back as “ undeliverable.”

For the Minors Trust, the numbers are significantly higher. SRPMIC Treasury Operations Manager Dawn Yazzie Howard said in March they sent out 4,272 pieces of mail regarding open per capita Minors Trust accounts, and 20 percent to 25 percent of the mail was returned as undeliverable. Not only are Community members missing out on vital information, the mailing expenses are very costly.

CDD Per Capita Specialist Michael Washington said that there are two major reasons it is important for parents to update their children’s address. “First, when a parent/guardian doesn’t update their child’s address, they run the risk of having that child’s financial information fall into the wrong hands, as statements may be mailed to an incorrect address.

“Second, if a parent/guardian applies for any funds (clothing, health, or education and welfare) from the trust account and the address on the Certificate of Needs and Use form doesn’t match the child’s membership record, the request for funds will be denied, resulting in a delay before funds are released,” said Washington.

Address updates may only be completed through the CDD Office of Membership Services, 10005 E. Osborn Road, in the Two Waters complex (Building B, the south building, on the third floor). If you have any questions, you may call the CDD/Office of Membership Services at (480) 362-7620, 7618 or 7614.

For additional questions regarding Minors Trust, please contact the Administration Department or the Office of the Treasurer at (480) 362-7400.

Newly Elected Members of YRPC Sworn In
Update Your Address, Please
Students Hit a High Note in Spring Chorus Concert
Native Warrior Run to D.C.