The Huhugam Ki Museum Repository is where the collections and historic archives for the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community are kept. The care, maintenance and housing of artifacts and collections are primary the duties of the repository. Currently it is a separate building where cultural and professional methods meet and work together in order to keep knowledge and education opportunities available to the members of the Salt River Community.
The Repository houses 3-D items such as willow baskets, pottery, rattles, etc. from the O’odham and Piipaash. Items in the Collections are historic, prehistoric and contemporary. All accessioned items come from the traditions and cultural knowledge of the community and are housed in the repository for protection, maintenance and safety for the Salt River Community.
Archives collections include photograph, films, video/sound recordings, and computer tapes, as well as more traditional paper records, letters, and documents.
The building is located at the intersection of Longmore and McDowell Road on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community. It was originally built as a dormitory for teachers who taught at the Salt River BIA Day School. Constructed in 1934, according to the blueprints, it was done in the Spanish Colonial Revival.
This style of building became a marker for Southwest architect in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Built laboriously during the American Depression of the 20th century it is designed by the firm of Bertram Goodhue and Associates and Mayers, Murry and Phillips Architects and Builders out of New York City.