Salt River Schools Release Updated Strategic Plan
Mat’o T’vem Ab O Ju.
We will do this together.
In September, Salt River Schools (SRS) released an updated five-year strategic plan with the motto “We Will Do This Together” shared in O’odham, Piipaash and English.
The 16-page strategic plan is available online at www.saltriverschools.org.
As part of the push to get the information out to the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Salt River Schools Superintendent Louis Laffitte hosted two recent Community forums, one at the Lehi Community Building on September 12 and another at the Salt River Community Building on September 19.
About 30 people attended the second forum, a mixture of parents and families of students as well as education staff. After a slideshow presentation explaining the mission and vision of Salt River Schools, Laffitte answered questions from the attendees. A meal was provided at both forums.
The new plan is basically a guide for SRS to use as it works to improve academic achievement and become Community residents’ school of choice. Roughly half of school-age students in the Community go to schools outside of the Community, Laffitte said.
“Think about any kind of plan,” he said. “It’s really to give you a roadmap towards those next steps, to help us make sure we stay on track and on target. Often times, a lot of folks will develop things and they stray and go all over the place. Our intent is to stick with this—make minor modifications where needed—but really use this as our plan moving forward.”
Laffitte said more forums are planned over the next few months. He encouraged people to attend education board meetings, which are generally held on the first and third Mondays of the month at 5:15 p.m.
The following includes the strategic plan’s Values and Goals.
SRS Strategic Plan: Values
- Committed to honoring and integrating O’odham and Piipaash culture and language to be evident in all elements of Salt River Schools as essential to quality education.
- Value the essential relationships of family, community and educators for the success of our students.
- Recognize availability of rich and diverse resources and utilize them effectively, responsibility and purposefully.
SRS Strategic Plan: Goals
- Improve student achievement to cultivate highly achieving schools.
- Increase graduation rate.
- Improve attendance of students and staff.
- Enhance readiness (early Head Start to college).
- Achieve higher test scores.
- Increase academic achievement and growth on assessments.
- Increase academic rigor in curriculum and instruction.
- Recruit, develop and retain teachers, students and staff.
- Provide ongoing differentiated support to every school, staff member and student.
- Provide safe and secure schools (bully-free zones).
- Build positive, flexible support with students, staff and families to find solutions to help all be successful.
- Increase positive and consistent involvement from students, staff, families, Community and stakeholders.
- Create consistent meaningful interactions, events and opportunities.
- Plan common scheduled times for events ahead of time, accounting for events at all schools.
- Communicate effectively to stakeholders/Community using the appropriate methods for the situation.
- Solicit input from stakeholders on ways to improve involvement and increase opportunities for stakeholders to participate in meaningful roles or committees.
- Become a school of choice for the Community.
- Integrate language fluency, Piipaash, O’odham and cultural history, and create a balance.
- Offer internships, volunteer opportunities, and college and career opportunities to prepare junior high and high school students for post–high school opportunities.
- Develop and enhance partnerships with businesses, stakeholders, departments and others to provide students unique opportunities and experiences.
For more information on education in Salt River, visit www.saltriverschools.org or call (480) 362-2500.