The Accelerated Learning Academy is pleased to recognize one of its students, Leslie Vest as she was selected for the Heard Museum’s exhibit, Confluence: Inter-Generational Collaborations. The Heard Museum made an announcement in late September asking for emerging American Indian artists (16-20 years old) living in Maricopa county and interested in the arts to apply to be one of eight “mentee artists” featured in the exhibition opening in February 2016 at the Heard Museum in Phoenix.
“When I first heard about it, I automatically said no. Then I told my mom about it and she said, ‘You should do it, you have talent, go out there and take chances, ’ ” said Vest when asked if she applied right away.
Two Accelerated Learning Academy students applied for the opportunity, and Vest was selected to be one of the mentees. Leslie will work with a local renowned artist Darylene Martin who will assist Vest with expanding her skills. Vest will help create an exhibit with her mentor, and the exhibit will include her works as well.
The exhibit will go on display at the Heard Museum February 2016, Congratulations to Leslie Vest! Leslie has been working every other Saturday with Ms. Martin in creating this exhibit.
See our February 18, 2016 issue for coverage of the Confluence: Inter-Generational Exhibit featuring SRPMIC mentors and mentees.
Confluence mentor artists, mentees and their collaborative projects
- Michael Teller Ornelas (Navajo) and Avery Lomayestewa (Hopi): video game
- Kristen Dorsey (Chickasaw) and Shenoa Moeckel (Navajo/Jicarilla Apache): jewelry
- Anthony “Thosh” Collins (Onk Akimel O’otham/Osage/Seneca/Cayuga) and Sarah Chiago (Salt River Pima-Maricopa): photography
- Dwayne Manuel (Onk Akimel O’otham) and Ashlee Craig (White Mountain Apache/Navajo): mural painting
- Darylene Martin (Navajo) and Leslie Vest (Salt River Pima-Maricopa): fashion design
- Warren Montoya (Santa Ana/Santa Clara Pueblo) and Dominic Burke (Salt River Pima-Maricopa): mural painting
- Klee Benally (Navajo) and Shaandiin Yazzie (Navajo): digital multimedia
The exhibit opens at the Heard Museum, located in Phoenix, on Feb. 6. For more information, visit http://heard.org/exhibits/confluence/
Participant names provided by Native Peoples magazine.