The Salt River Police Department recommends the following Safe Driving tips to Drive and Arrive Safely!”:
• Plan a safe way home before your celebrations begin;
• If you plan to get a ride home with someone else, designate a sober driver before any drinking begins;
• If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you are sure to get home safely;
• Ask if the cab or bar offers a “Free Ride Back” or other free or discounted transportation program;
• If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact your local law enforcement;
• Driving impaired is simply not worth the risk. The consequences are serious and real. Not only do you risk killing yourself or someone else, however the trauma and financial costs of a crash or an arrest for driving while impaired can be significant. Violators often face jail time, the loss of their driver’s license, higher insurance rates and dozens of other unanticipated expenses.
The message is simple:
If you’re caught driving drunk, you will be arrested. No exceptions. No excuses.