Over the Memorial Day holiday (May 24–June 6), the Salt River Police Department Traffic Enforcement Bureau (TEB) conducted two special operations within the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community: the East Valley Holiday DUI Task Force and “Click It or Ticket.” The goals were to enforce tribal and state traffic laws (specifically focused on impaired drivers), to educate drivers to increase roadway safety within the Community, and to reduce collisions—especially serious injury and fatal collisions.
During the Holiday DUI Task Force and “Click It or Ticket” operations, SRPD officers conducted 914 traffic stops within the Community that resulted in:
• 22 DUI arrests: 22 from Task Force officers, including five extreme DUI (above .15 percent blood alcohol concentration) arrests; one super-extreme DUI (above .20) arrest; and one aggravated DUI felony arrest
There were 422 written warnings issued and 492 citations issued, including:
• 211 adult safety seat violations
• 3 child safety seat violations
• 263 speeding violations
• 18 driving on suspended license violations
• 65 stop sign/red light violations
• 6 warrant arrests (one felony stateside warrant, four misdemeanor stateside warrants and one Community warrant)
Traffic stops also resulted in the seizure of various quantities of illegal drugs: prescription drugs (52.5 valium pills), marijuana (.4 grams) and cocaine (7.4 grams).
SRPD officers who worked these special operations included Off. Stanley Trott, Off. Louis Lombari, Off. Christopher Morin, Off. Forest Wood, Off. Travis Mathews and myself. These operations owe their success not only to the officers out in the Community, but also to excellent communication and coordination with the Field Operations Division, Public Safety Communications Division dispatchers and our Records Bureau team members. A very special thank-you goes out to everyone involved.
A total of 166.5 hours of overtime for these special operations was paid for through a grant from the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety—saving our Community thousands of dollars while serving and protecting Community members!
Reminder: With the Fourth of July coming up, don’t drink and drive, buckle up yourself and children, obey all traffic laws, and drive safely!